As we got up to leave the room, my (rather tiny) teammate looked up at me. “God, why are all of you so much more taller than me?” I looked down at her, smiling at her pouting face.
“Don’t know, are we, or are you just shorter?” I replied, smirking.
“Yeah, dude, I think you’re the one who’s at the… short end of the stick here.” Said my other friend.
“All of you are height-cist.” My short associate replied. “None of you can experience the non-thin air I have down here in the troposphere.”
“Eh, we have other benefits.” I replied.
“Oh, what are they?” She challenged.
“Well, to name a few…”
PERKS OF BEING TALL
- You always end up at the back of the line.
- It is very difficult to find a good hiding place, for one or the other part of your body is always visible – either the toes or the hair.
- No matter how hard you try to stay in shape, you have to spend extra on the tailor as no garment seems to fit.
- Eye contact with short teachers never ends well.
- You have to smile at all weird comments thrown your way by unknown relatives.
- You can reach anything and everything on the top shelves that your friends can’t.
- It’s easy to look over a crowd.
- You’re almost always visible in pictures.
- You can play a mean game of basketball if you have the skill.
- The air’s better up here on a hot day.
“That enough?” I asked, chuckling.
“Touché.” My teammate replied. “Still, I’ll honestly have to start wearing shoes with heels if all of you keep growing to the height of a palm tree.”
– Mrinalini Jindal, Amity International School, Noida